Dental examinations diagnose diseases of the mouth and are critical for lifelong dental health. Here at Randol Family Dentistry our routine dental examinations help discover small problems and prevent them from becoming larger problems in the future. A dental examination consists of the following:
- Oral cancer screening
- Evaluation of periodontal (gum) tissue
- Visual detection of tooth decay and status of current dental restorations (fillings, etc)
- X-ray evaluation to check for tooth decay, evaluate existing restorations and any tumors, cysts or any other oral pathology.
A registered dental hygienist will perform a cleaning of your teeth and gums to prevent gum disease and tooth decay. The dentist and/or dental hygienist will determine the cleaning frequency that is right for you to improve or maintain the health of your mouth. The cleaning consists of the following:
- Removal of dental plaque
- Removal of calculus (hard plaque)
- Polish and remove stains from teeth.
- Oral hygiene instruction
Some patients have deep grooves in their teeth that trap food and prevent proper cleaning. These areas are highly susceptible to tooth decay. A sealant is a flowable resin material that is placed into the deep grove that prevents this situation from occurring. Sealants are done without anesthesia and can be a great positive dental experience for children.